Smoke em' if you got em'


An AD I've worked with steadily for the past 5-6 years (one of the really nice ones... you know who you are) called me last friday. She had a little rush job, a quaterpage. I was hesitant to accept because I already had more than enough to do. And I have promised myself and my wife to cut seriously back on working on weekends...
but the AD keeps sweet-talking me, you can do one of your more loose line drawings, no colors needed, and the topic was too zany to turn down. a smoking jacket. no, not the top part of a suit, but a jacket that would actually suck in your exhaled smoke to avoid causing any annoyance to your surrounding (let's get real, if that was ever a real concern for smokers they would just stop smoking). being a fanatic non-smoker myself, I accepted the job.
Today the magazine arrived in the mailbox. And my son even liked the way it looked... or maybe it was the "filthy smoke...cough cough, uhh I'm so disgusting" remarks that he liked... we'll never know.
the drawing was done in black ball-point pen used as a dark red photoshop channel and I added a single color for the smoke.